Here are the ways you can prevent ozone layer depletion at an individual level.
World Ozone Day is celebrated every year on 16th September as International Day for Preservation of Ozone Layer. This day is an opportunity to spread awareness on the importance of saving the depleting ozone layer. Before we tell you know 5 easy ways how can you prevent ozone layer and become a part of this environmental change let us discuss what is ozone layer, its importance, ozone pollution, cause of depletion and its harmful effects in a nutshell.
The ozone layer exists in the Earth’s upper atmosphere, i.e., the stratosphere and Earth’s lower atmosphere, i.e., the troposphere. The layer protects human beings from UV rays coming from the sun. The depletion of this layer has harmful effects on human health (Skin cancer, Harm the immune system, Burn the skin, Increase or speed-up the ageing). The depletion has resulted in smog and acid rain, which is harmful for both humans and the environment.
The depletion of the ozone layer has been and is being caused by human-based activities. The human-made chemicals such as chlorine or bromine, also known as Ozone Depletion Substances (ODS), have played a major role in ozone depletion. It is the need of the hour that the ozone layer needs to be protected to have a safe environment for living.
Some ways you can prevent ozone layer depletion at individual level are as follows:
1. Make Public Transport your travel buddy: A single person traveling by his or her personal vehicles adds up to the pollution which in turn causes smog. Smog is one of the major reasons of depletion of the Ozone layer. So on an individual front stop using private vehicles, when you need to travel to a nearby location instead ride a bicycle. If you have to use car, try carpool or use public transport.
2. Refuse single use: Recycling should be one of the prime ways of living. Segregate the dry and wet waste for optimum utilization and disposal of materials. Avoid using polythene or plastic completely. Use reusable and recyclable bags instead. Additionally, put maximum things to recycling or reusing it save land, air, water and soil immensely.
3. Switch to Eco-friendly mode living: Toxic chemicals, released from various products, play a large role in harming the ozone layer. Try to curb the menace by buying eco-friendly products, like jute bags, reusable containers, stationary that grows, and others eco-friendly replacements for your daily use toothbrushes, carry bags and utensils.
4. Go Natural, Avoid Pesticides: Pesticides are one of the most harmful components for animals, crops, humans and ozone layer. To ensure the maximum yield and bacteria free crops, the farmers grow vegetables in protection of pesticides which is very harmful. One should try to curb this pesticides practice and instead use manures and vegetable waste.one individual level you can help by growing your own vegetables that are organic and pesticides free.
5. Say no to CFCs emitting products: With the habit to live in air conditioned areas this may seem unbelievable as you will have to say goodbye to all the daily use appliances such as refrigerators and ACs as they emit CFCs. But the harsh reality is that we need to keep a proper check on the duration and the emission for CFCs to protect our family and the ozone layer.
So, we request you to take a pledge to follow these 5 simple ways from today and protect the ozone layer as an environment hero.